Topband: Guy Wire Connection to Tower

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Guy Wire Connection to Tower
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 04:17:58 -0400
Brian Machesney wrote:

> So, I'm trying to understand whether or not I need to essentially add
> an "extra" insulator to each guy in order to ensure that the guys
> don't behave like significant circuit elements if I choose to feed the
> tower later.

Yes you should insulate every guy connection to the tower as they would
have transmit power coupled into them if connected  to the tower.  Some
re radiation, mostly skyward would probably occur and wasted energy in
unwanted directions.

Additionally a non insulated guy(s) close to the top of the tower could
conceivably cause some cancellation of your our overall electrical
height on 160.  I like the long power company insulators at the top
since when I rotate the beams nearby I do not see any VSWR change as I
did before I put them in.

73

Herb