Re: Topband: QSL AND BROADBAND

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QSL AND BROADBAND
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:16:03 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:21:08 -0500, CRAIG CLARK wrote:
>

>> "PS I?m not going to join Lotw. My qth is in a rural area and the telecom
>> has not yet succeeded in broadbanding that area (the US guys might reflect
>> on this matter - the rest of the world is not USA)
>>

> LOTW works on low speed (dial-up) circuits, and I believe it also works on
> files exchanged by surface mail (for example, a CD or floppy). I use FREE
> logging software called DXKeeper. It will talk to LOTW directly if you're
> on the internet, but you can also use it to generate a file that the ARRL
> LOTW software on your computer can use to generate a file that you can
> mail, or that you can send via email. Before I got DXKeeeper working in
> auto mode, (about two years ago), I uploaded my log via email twice a year.
> I did that in a few hours. That's 100% QSL in a LOT less time, and for a
> LOT less money than snail mail. Now that I have DXKeeper running in
> automatic mode, I upload once a week!
>
> I use N1MM for contest logging (and before that used WriteLog). Both
> generate ADIF files that DXKeeper imports, so all my contest logs go to
> DXKeeper, then to LOTW. Again, it's painless, 100% QSL. Sure, I'll send a
> paper card to anyone who wants one, via the Bureau.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9Y
I too use DXKeeper for general purpose logging and N1MM for contesting.
Uploading to LoTW is simple as Jim describes. Initially a few years ago
I uploaded my log via modem with speed at best 28kb.  The log was about
40,000 QSOs. I had to break it into 4 more or less equal parts before
the upload was completely successful.....more having to do with my phone
line than LoTW. Now on WiFi today I uploaded about 1,000 QSO from the
contest in about 2 seconds.

The tq8 file can also be emailed to ARRL.

73 and good luck with it...
Art