Re: Topband: Chemical ground rod treatment to decrease resistance

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chemical ground rod treatment to decrease resistance
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:03:17 -0800
Jim Brown wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 20:01:00 -0800 (PST), Mike Waters W0BTU wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any info on any results of tests: resistance of
>>ordinary ground vs. resistance of ground with magnesium sulfate
>>treatment?
>>

>Remember that the function of an earth connection is LIGHTNING
>PROTECTION. That's very important, and you must do it right, but an
>earth connection does NOT make an antenna work better, nor does it
>reduce noise. RADIALS make an antenna work better.
>
>73,
>
>Jim Brown K9YC

Rather than going with any kind of chemical ground, I was wondering if
watering the radial field would help? I live in Southern California
where (the last few days non-withstanding) it's pretty dry. My soil is
mostly sand and rock, so I suspect the conductivity is poor. One thought
I had was to put drip hoses or sprinklers along the dense strip of
radials that runs along side the house close to the base of my 160 meter
vertical (see the following for a diagram of the lot and radial layout):

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Radial_Project/Radial.htm

The idea would be to keep the soil underneath the high current part of
the radial system as wet as possible.  Has anyone tried this, and if so
were you able to see a noticeable difference in field strength or
antenna impedance?

73, Mike W4EF..............