Re: Topband: Fibre glass mast source

To: indians@xsmail.com, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fibre glass mast source
From: w2pm@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:53:26 -0500
OK1RP Writes:

>> Dears,

for informations new glass fibre reinforced plastic supports suitable
for our
TB wire antennas look at my blog http://topband.blog.cz/ please.

I found it just few days ago.

If anybody has an experiences with that material then please share with
us.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

W2PM Replies:

Petr - I have 50 feet of these masts and yes, they are strong. However,
they are heavy and require seriously good guying.  I also found the
material to be very brittle - far more so than fibreglass.  I found
this when trying to drill it.   The connecting joints are not that deep
which makes less than 25 ft of these unstable without guying.  I use
that amount to support a Pennant.  But to put some antenna load on
these in the form of say an Inverted L with a 60 foot high vertical
section would be impractical in my opinion.  My sections are about 4
feet long and because you need a lot of them to get any kind of height
the physical instability is increased.  I give these a C minus grade
for 160 antenna work.

73 Pete W2PM