Topband: Topband mailing list

To: Bill Tippett <topband-owner@contesting.com>, topband@contesting.com
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:05:57 -0800 (PST)
Dear Bill Tippett,

I understand that you are the gentleman that takes care of the Topband
reflector on contesting.com. I just wanted to express my deep appreciation for
all your hard work since the Topband e-mail list was started, and for being
able to access all of the great information in those archives.

I have read back through every month of the Topband Archives at
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/topband/ back to August 1996, and have
read more fascinating and valuable information there than I ever dreamed I
would find. (No, I didn't read every single post)

Of course, some credit should go to the participants. I see some regulars have
been with the list since 1996. I have learned so much -- it was so enjoyable to
read information I could have never found anywhere else.

It appears that there was a previous Topband reflector/mailing list on another
server (frontier.net). If there are any archives that are available from that,
I would sure appreciate being able to browse through those, too.

I'm currently working on setting up a 160 station, after several years of
inactivity on the bands. About the only experience I've had with 160 was when I
was invited by W8JI in the early 80's to participate in a 160 contest at his
former residence in Ohio. I never forgot how much fun it was, though I have
only operated on 160 meters one time since then. So far, I just have one 580'
SW-NE bidirectional Beverage antenna. A back injury (from driving in a ground
rod) has kept me from putting up the second Beverage and the vertical for
transmitting. It'll be up, hopefully before the summer static gets bad.

I have enjoyed the Topband list more than words can possibly express. I am in
awe of the wisdom, experience, and kindness of many Topbanders, and look
forward to getting on 160 in the near future. Thanks again.

73,

Mike

Michael J. Waters
W0BTU