Topband: 160 vertical video enhanced

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 vertical video enhanced
From: "Gary K9GS" <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 22:11:29 -0600

 ----- Original Message -----

 Hi Dave,

Thanks for the "enhanced" video...much easier to watch than the first one.

I have a few questions:

1)    Can you post a photo of the pivot point at the base of the vertical.
I'd really like to see mechanically how you connect the vertical, falling
derrick and base together.

2)    How does the distance from the tractor compare to the length of the
vertical?  In watching the video, it looks like the tractor is too far away
from the base of the vertical.  Maybe that is better though as it allows for
an easier pull?  It almost looks like as the derrick comes down you would
want to move the tractor in towards the base...in effect almost pulling
straight down from the point where the top of the derrick is over the
ground?  Then again, mechanics was never my strong point :))

3)    It looks like each guy lever has three guy wires, spaced 120 degrees
apart...right??  For my project, I'm contemplating 4 guy points at each
level.  What are your thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for a great video!

73,

Gary K9GS
K9GS
Gary Schwartz           email: k9gs (at) arrl.net
Check out K9NS on the web: http://www.k9ns.com
Society of Midwest Contesters (SMC)     http://www.w9smc.com/
GMDXA http://www.eng.mu.edu/gmdxa/