Topband: Pse help: SHUNT FED TOWER+CAPACITIVE HAT

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Pse help: SHUNT FED TOWER+CAPACITIVE HAT
From: Sante - IK0HBN <ik0hbn@libero.it>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:31:57 +0100
Hi topbander fellows,
first I wish thank all them helped me on last november when I was
trying to put a tower with a Yagi for 40 and a 4square array for 80.

Sadly the hazer which should have raisen the rotator+yagi showed a
bad functioning, so it has been removed, with a lot of wasted money
(to do and undo it).

To save what I can, I have reduced plan to ONLY 160 meter band and a
support for 4 wire square on 80 meter.

>Beside the mechanical constraint which prevented me of using the
>same tower for 3 bands (160-80-40), Dave WX7G kindly advised me that
>probably interaction could have been with those 3 bands.

So, I read and read the Bible (ON4UN book) and bitterly I discovered
that a YAgi for 40 meter at 30 meter high should have shown a deep
null within 2 main lobe, so 40 meter band was definitively out!

Now I wish to use the pole as described before. Below its measures:

High: m. 28,7 out of the ground.
Diameter at base : 925 mm.
diameter at top : 240.

It's clear that pole is too short electrically speaking, so I could
add an extension to gain 4,5 or 6 meter, but I still use a capacitive
hat as GAP VOYAGER does. That extension will further help me in
getting an higher support for 80 4sq arrays.

 From the pole, always hanging on insulated guys a 4 square array
with Comtek box.
The verticals should reach the ground at half a meter high, so to
deploy the radials system directly on the ground.

MY QUESTIONS:
How much should I extend the existing pole?
How much big the capacitive hat ( I thought at something like GAP but
with hot dipped steel to assure mechanic resistance)?
Shunt fed: at which height/distance  put the arm for shunt fed wire?
May I connect the 160m ground radial to those for 80 meter?
Everything should be buried?
Last but not least: It should be a definitive setting!

Thanks in advance, as promise I will summarize.

Hat off to the huge signals heard on last we on topband during
contest. As a part time swl I used a short vertical for hearring you!
73's Sante