Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas

To: tree@kkn.net
Subject: Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas
From: doktorij@bellsouth.net
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:02:59 +0000
Hi Tree,

I didn't notice it as much this year, but in previous year's ARRL 160, I worked
a fair amount of EU DX above 1870 (where ever there wasn't any AM or SSB
activity). Signals were good enough here that a lot of DX was heard and
sometimes worked in the low part of the band.

The one thing I did notice, that seems to be a bad trend, is more US/VE
stations running in the 1830-1835 DX window. I think this is a shame, and
limits the possibilities for LP/QRP/antenna disadvantaged folks from having a
shot at ANY DX QSOs during a contest.

Probably the main issue others might have with this proposal is the narrow
bandwidth of many transmitting antennas in use.

Maybe there should be more incentive to use LP/QRP? It's not a black and white
solution, as I'm sure many run power to make up for poor antennas.

73,
Julius
n2wn