Re: Topband: Inverted L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:52:40 +0000

Brad says:
> The antenna works very well, and I'd suggest ......

Brad, how do you know?

How do you  (anyone, for that matter) know how well the antenna works?
Just for kicks, let's say somehow we KNEW the antenna didn't work well.
Say someone (to play a prank on you) put a 6 dB attenuator in your feedline,
hidden so you wouldn't know it was there.
You got on the air, asked for some signal reports and of course the guys
tell you "The antenna's working FB.  In fact you're 10 over 9."
THEY don't know you're an S unit below where you should be.  Heck, the static
crashes are S8.
Point is, unless we have something to compare it with, to do a real time A-B
comparison how do any of us know how our antenna is working.
I wonder, because I have an inverted L, with 16 radials.  I'm working stations
but I don't REALLY know if this darn thing is "working very well" or not!!

Sorry to pick on you, Brad.  I've been waiting for the chance to bring up this
topic.

Rick  K2XT