Topband: EY8 RFI Problem

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EY8 RFI Problem
From: "Ken Claerbout" <k4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:34:17 -0500
  I'm headed back to Tajikistan on the 23rd of this month.  Nodir EY8MM and I
will be focusing on 160 during this time as announced in W3UR's Daily DX and
posted on Nodir's web page http://www.ey8mm.com/index.php?page=lowbands  His
lowband QTH is in a research center outside of Dushanbe.  Unfortunately he has
been dealing with a nasty RFI problem involving some of the research equipment.
 The problem looks to be narrowed down to a 30 meter long USB cable, which runs
through a few "USB extenders" in order to drive the length of the cable.  I
don't know if the cable is shielded.  Nodir has tried some ferrite beads with
limited success.  I'm going to be taking more ferrite's with me but we were
also considering a USB optical extender that would provide isolation.  I wonder
if anyone has dealt with a similar problem or if there are other things we
should try?  If anyone has a spare USB optical isolator pair lying around that
I could take along and try, it would be greatly appreci
 ated.  I'm a little reluctant to buy a pair, which are pricey, without knowing
if they will work.  Resolving this RFI issue will go a long way towards
ensuring Nodir can continue his lowband operation from this wonderful QTH.

Thanks
Ken K4ZW