Re: Topband: Interesting 160 Meter QSO

To: "Victor A. Kean, Jr." <vkean@k1lt.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Interesting 160 Meter QSO
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 21:49:35 -0400
 So, K1LT worked a Russian station 3 hours
before his sunset, or 3.3 hours after his sunrise, or close to noon
his local time.

Just another data point in the daytime 160 DX conspiracy.

Victor, K1LT=========================================

I don't have the facts and figures before me, but in the SUMMER of 1996 and
also 1997 I was @
cy0aa and cy9aa respectively.  At both QTH's (virutally surrounded by salt
water) we were able to work EU's
a couple hours before SS and west coast after our sunrise.

I wish my memory was better for the "finer" details, but I distinctly
remember VE1PZ and K7BV erecting the 160m helium balloon supported 1/4WL
vertical wire antenna on St. Paul(cy9aa 1997) and the slight wind that was
blowing had the vertical essentially completely over salt water.   I want to
say the time was early (3-ish?) afternoon and I'm pretty sure we were heard
in the UK immediately before firing up the amp.

Still boggles my mind to think of it. Not bragging, just  letting you know
what's possible.

I don't have the logs here or I would look it up.........are there any
prominent G stns reading this that would have access to that kind of info?