Topband: Boring night

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring night
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:34:33 -0800
The 3X sure made a splash last night.  Was hearing them 45 minutes before
sunset here - but obviously too weak for me to get through the pileup.

About the time I started seriously calling, they QRT as they were tired.
Probably from putting up whatever antenna it was that was really putting
out a big signal.  I imagine they will be back tonight and typically are
on for awhile after the contest.  I have a space reserved for their QSL
in my book.

Hardly any Europe last night, except ES1LA who seemed to be in the spotlight.
Found him CQing at 0207 and he came right back.  I did work RA4LW later,
but Vlad was very weak.  EL2DX showed up with a big signal at 0210Z and
was worked on one call.

I worked HC8N and C6ARR for South and North America and was hoping to hear
UA9MA last night to check off Asia.  Then I would do the WAC in one hour
trick or something.  But - the UA9MA QSO had to wait until this morning at
13:59 UTC.  I also worked Willy, UA9BA for the first time on 160 and RZ9AZ.

But - I got distracted when EY8MM was starting to be heard.  After a bit,
Nodir's signal came up and sounded something like this:

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/ey8mm_cq_27-Nov-2008.mp3

We executed a EME style QSO and exchanged 449s and a new country sneaks in
before the 3X.

Just about sunrise - still no OC... but then H44MY gets spotted and I
finally get around to working them and the WAC in one night is completed.

LY2IJ was hearing me some this morning - but I didn't work anything
furthur west than the UA9s.  SM5EDX (I think it was) called me, but we
didn't complete a QSO.

At any rate - lots of good stuff out there.  I saw an LX was active - so
am also hoping to put that new one in the log soon.

73 Tree N6TR
Boring, OR