Topband: Inverted U antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Inverted U antenna
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:09:58 -0500
Well... it was supposed to be an inverted L on 160 but as it worked
out, the terminal end is absolutely vertical and is 25' from the
ground. so if you look at the antenna from a relief view, it looks
more like a fish hook with a short shank. Here's my ascii art...

     - -
    /   \
   /     \
  /       \
  |       |
  |       |
  |       |
  |       * <-Insulator @ end of wire

__|__radials____

Wire is the about 168' in total length and the apex is as high as the
highest tree. There is some horizontal at the top but it does come
straight down.

Seeing as I am aiming for DX, would I be better to shoot an arrow
over a neighboring tree and elevate the terminal as to make it as
flat as can be done or will this "fish hook" be perhaps better a
configuration for vertical polarization & DX?

Thanks!

Gary
KA1J