Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 71, Issue 27

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 71, Issue 27
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:39:57 -0500

> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:19:36 +0000
> From: W5UN <w5un@wt.net>
> Subject: Topband: WD-1A 2-way Beverage
> To: topband@contesting.com
>
> Is anyone here using WD-!A wire for a bi-directional Beverage having
> success? I notice that mine performs very good in the forward
> direction, but has severely reduced gain in the reverse direction.  I
> would like to hear if others are experiencing this reduced gain in
> reverse direction. I did not notice this with my old 2
> wire  bi-directional Beverages (which I replaced with the WD-!A wire).
>
> I am not sure I am setting up correctly. MY measured SWR is good
> (less than 1.5) in both directions through 10 mHz.  Any thoughts will
> be appreciated. I am closely following the ON4UN Antenna Book design
> and am in agreement with Tom, OH2BEN' who is using the same design.
>
> Dave, W5UN
>

> Dave et al,

I find, like you, my NW and NE Beverages which are the primary direction, to
be better than their reverse directions SW and SE. The fact is there is not
as much activity in the reverse directions. That said, the other night, The
EL2 was copyable on the NE but had a booming signal when I switched to the
SE and this is what would be expected.

I am doing some A-B studies with broadcast stations. To date, I do not have
enough data.  Finding BC station SE in the skip zone is tough this close to
the Atlantic coast.