Topband: Static build-up on non-grounded antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Static build-up on non-grounded antennas
From: "Lars Harlin" <lars.harlin@one.se>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:36:40 +0100
Regarding Carl's, SM6CPY, question and responses to that.
Sure would an RF-choke or a resistor serve to discharge the antenna and keep
its potential at ground level. But on the other hand, if you are using an
amplifier (which most of us are) it should present a DC short to the antenna
thru the coax, as tube amplifiers already have an RF-choke across it's output.
Transistor amps usually have a lo Z output for DC, so that would be the same.
So, the remaining question is: Why does'nt that help?

Did the same reflection at my QTH this morning and I live about 1000 km north
from Carl AND it did'nt snow!

Anyone?