Re: Topband: Not so Boring QSO

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Not so Boring QSO
From: "Price Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:36:44 -0600

> Last night - I was anxious to get home after seeing the K index was zero
> for
> about 18 hours straight.  The band sounded good - but not many signals.
>
> Occasionally, we see spots for UA9 or UA0 stations, but these are things I
> have never heard in the evening from Oregon.  However, tonight, I could
> copy parts of UA9MA's transmissions around 02:15 UTC.  Over the next 25
> minutes, a number of stations worked him - including W7ZQ and N7UA.  I
> don't know if his signal shifted around his sunrise - but he peaked up
> really well at 02:35 UTC and I was able to exchange reports with him.  At
> this time, his signal was best from the northwest!  Gena was hanging out
> on 1831.5.

Tree,

Well the propagation on 160 sure can be weird at times. Some say that there
is no "Spot-Light" propagation.

I know that there is. I remember very well about 10 years ago, there was a
T30
on 160 in our evening, his sunset. He had a good signal into the midwest.
Ken NA0Y, Bud NI0F
and I worked him on the first call. Ron K9YY, located about 80 miles north,
called and called.
Ron didn't work the T30 until the next evening. Ron had a VERY big signal on
160. He
was one of the few in the midwest, that worked Merv, K9FD and myself when we
were at BY1QH
on 160 in Jan 1998.

73 and CU in the STEW

Price W0RI