Topband: Boring Report

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:49:42 -0800
Wow.

30+ Europeans in the log last night - and about half of them were new
stations that I hadn't worked before.  This included UR4WWT who I heard
before his sunrise - but his neighbor was running his battery charger
and he couldn't hear me.  However, his neighbor went to work and he
called my 40 minutes after his sunrise and we exchanged 559 reports.

One of the bad dynamics with the time change is that I don't get home
until about 0300Z - and have missed any early openings at sunset (which
is around 0200Z).  I often work RA4LW around sunset - and then perhaps
nothing else.

However, last night, the band was full of calls that started with a
U or R.  I worked YL2KO who was louder than many of the USA stations
that were calling him (okay - my EU beverage is 80 feet below the average
terrain to the east - but still) and he promptly told me that I sounded
like a local.

The only station I heard but couldn't raise was SV3RF.  I did work IV3PRK
and F5VHY.  For some reason, I almost never work France.  I even worked
a couple of LA stations and got an SWL report from another - an area I
often seem to have a problem working.

Even the G's got into the act.

I'll be on the band again tonight - concentrating on stations I see spotted
that I haven't worked before - or in a long time.

73 Tree N6TR
Boring, OR