Re: Topband: New 160m QRN Problem in EU

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: New 160m QRN Problem in EU
From: Ian Wade <g3nrw@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:20:48 +0000
From: John Rogers <johnr1g3pqa@onetel.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008   Time: 13:48:22

>During the last month I have been hearing a new source of qrn which
>seems diffierent from the usual local switch mode rubbish. Only audible
>at night, and strongest on 90 deg. east beverage. Up to s7 at 2130z, s9
>at 0130z, on east beverage and audible on all others. Not listened
>later in last couple of weeks, so dont know yet what time it
>disappears, but DF-ed it at 70 degrees - difficult to get accurate
>bearing as it is skywave. Sounds like power line qrn with phase
>distortion, a bit like the old Loran at a much higher frequency.
>Spreads from about 1810kHz to 1860kHz, strongest around 1839kHz.
>
>I suspect it is coming from east UK or west EU, but difficult to locate
>without other reports.
>Later on I will make recordings and try to DF from other locations.
>
>Does anyone else hear it, (or have an idea of what it might be)?
>
>Thanks 73
>John G3PQA

John,

I regularly hear something like this in mid Beds, all over the band, but
particularly around 1949kHz. It is usually S9+40 or more, making the
band unusable for hours at a time.

At first I thought it was a local plasma TV, but I can't get a local fix
on it. I've heard stations a few miles away complaining about it as
well.

I'd be interested to hear your recording of it.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW