Topband: 160m SSB DX

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160m SSB DX
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:49:04 -0400
VE3CUI:

QRS CW is perhaps best done up above 1840-KHz, in the absence of any SSB
DXCC chasers, that is...conversely, there is always the bottom end of
80-meters.

         I disagree for several reasons:

1.  There *are* SSB stations on 1843 and above, even though you might
not hear them with a marginal RX antenna.  Even 1840 CW will be very
audible in a 3 kHz LSB passband.

2.  IARU Regions 1 & 3 (i.e. EU, AF, AS, OC) do not have access below
1810, so there is very little DX activity there.  Even though NA and
SA do have access, most DX activity is well above 1810.

3.  The QRP calling frequency is 1810 and there are usually some low
speed QSOs in that area.  Try to avoid 1808 +/- however since it's
the center of digital activity in NA.

         I suggest 1800-1815 is a much better area to find slow speed
CW, focusing on 1800-1810 (excluding 1808) when the band is open to DX areas.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV