Re: Topband: RF Shielding of shed/shack

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RF Shielding of shed/shack
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:16:18 -0700
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:58:24 +0200, Rune Øye wrote:

>I want to shield the small shed where all equipment will be
>installed and wondering if i can use chicken wire. The experience
>when i build up this remote station is that Radio and computer have
>to be total "RF dead".

I believe that your concern with shielding is misguided. Before you
go to the considerable trouble to try this, I suggest that you study
the RFI tutorial on my website.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish

Also buy and study Henry Ott's excellent text on EMC, especially the
section on shielding. Google on his name to find it. Building a
useful shielded room requres that there be no openings, and that all
cables coming through the shield must be bonded or RF-bypassed to
the shield.

I have done considerable work on EMC, and am of the opinion that RFI
issues are largely caused by pin 1 problems, and secondarily by poor
shielding of equipment. There are FAR less costly ways to solve the
pin 1 problems. A proper shielded room will fix the lousy shielding,
but you can probably replace the poorly shielded equipment for a lot
less money that you could build a shielded room.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC