Topband: Measuring Inductor Q

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Measuring Inductor Q
From: GEORGE WALLNER <gwallner@the-beach.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 13:16:13 -0400
G'day Topbanders,

I am trying to measure the Q of large air would and
toroidal inductors. I have built a jig that I use to
series resonate the coil at the frequency of interest (1.8
and 3.5 MHz). The series C is a high Q vacuum variable. I
have also included a precison, non-inductive 50 ohm
resistor in series, and using an AIM4170 analyzer I
measure the Rs component, which should include the 50 ohm
resistor and the resistance of the inductor. (I am
measuring at 50 ohms because the analyzer is reported to
be most accurate around 50 ohms.) I get consitent results
to Q-s of up to about 120. I don't seem to be able to
measure beyond Q 120.

Is there a better -- cost effective -- method I should be
using?

TKS in advance for any advice,

George
AA7JV