Topband: Lightening

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lightening
From: "John Harden" <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 10:42:30 -0400
Dear all,

I have been at this QTH since 1985 and have had two strikes that bled
into the shack. These were times that I FORGOT to disconnect all
incoming lines. I utilize multiple ICE arrestors and they certainly
mitigated the damage done during these strikes.
However, they do not protect you 100 %. I have had MULTIPLE strikes as I
am on a ridge crest overlooking downtown Atlanta.

The thing that helps me the most is the extensive ground radial system
that exists behind my home with multiple radials and 8 foot ground rods
that interconnect to the grounding system in the shack itself. The back
yard consists of wooded terrain that is not improved.

My antennas go up to 120 feet or so on a Rohn 45G tower, with 7 stacked
HF monobanders from 80 - 10 meters.

73,

John, W4NU
Atlanta