Topband: Polyphaser protection for 4 sq

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Polyphaser protection for 4 sq
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:57:17 -0500
Greetings everyone from a wet and flooded Iowa. . .

I have had some problems with lightning getting into the Comtek box on my 160
meter four square array.  I have used many Polyphaser protective devices here
on other antennas and control lines with good success.  Would the installation
of the Polyphaser devices cause adverse problems with the existing phasing of
the array?  The Polyphaser devices are basically a large capacitor in series
with the feed to isolate transients.  I would prefer (for mechanical reasons)
to put the Polyphaser devices on each element with the device being mounted
right at the Comtek box looking into the phasing lines.  However, I could mount
the devices out at the far end of the phasing lines right at the base of each
antenna element if needed.

Is it even possible to install the Polyphaser devices without altering or
upsetting the phasing?  Are there other good approaches to lightning protection
for the array?

73 to all. . .Dave
W0FLS