Re: Topband: Cage Vertical Worth It?

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Cage Vertical Worth It?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 20:39:41 -0700
On Fri, 2 May 2008 12:46:41 -0700, Dan Levin wrote:

>deliver much better bandwidth

This is well known good engineering practice, and I'm thinking about
doing it myself. No debate. But unless you have a very low power
feedline, any reasonable tuner will make up the difference in
bandwidth. And the difference in loss is not likely to matter unless
your radial system is poor. The real advantage comes in the form of
not having to retune when you QSY over a wider bandwidth. In other
words, you'll care if you're a serious topband contester, but not if
you're a casual operator.

What I DO recommend is tuning the antenna (by using more toploading)
to make the feedpoint look like 50 +jX, then tune out X with a
series capacitor. NEC will get you there. I'm doing that now.

73,

Jim K9YC