Topband: Hy Gain Hy Tower Fire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Hy Gain Hy Tower Fire
From: "K7XQ" <k7xq@elite.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 01:09:01 -0800
Hello,

I am back on the forum for a short period of time to ask if anyone has
experienced an antenna fire

with the Hy Gain Hy Tower on 160 meters. Afew nights ago I was trying to
work VP6DX on 160 meters

with @ 500 watts of power when I noticed the noise floor of the radio
dropped so I went outside and found

that the insulator that supports the main top whip of the antenna was
engulfed in flames so I quickly

climbed the tower and extinguished the flames. Has anyone else experienced
this problem with this antenna?

or have I experienced a strange fluke incident. I ran this vertical many
times before on 160 with excellent

performance and this is the first time I seen or herd of this bizarre
problem.

K7XQ Jeff

K7XQ Webpage:  http://www.elite.net/~k7xq/k7xq.html