Topband: Help on 4 Squares

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Help on 4 Squares
From: David Cole <g3rcq@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:18:53 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all - I have some questions regarding four squares - My career was in
commerce and not electronics so please excuse what may seem silly questions.
Tom W8JI advocates that the normal 90/180 phasing is not the optimum - the
117/234 phasing gives more gain whilst making the lobes narrower which means to
get the full effect there needs to be 8 selectable directions instead of 4 - I
wish to follow Tom's suggestions - but I am unsure of the following - is the
size of the 4 square fixed by the frequency or does the different phasing mean
that the sides are of a diffent length?The four quarter wave feed lines I
presume are longer to accomodate the 117 instead of 90 - is that correct? If so
- to get the 234 phase do I put a twice the length of the feeds to each
vertical in series with the front vertical?With the longer feeds to each
antenna will the same current / voltage rules still apply in the same way as if
they were quarter wave feedlines?Sourcing vacuum
 relays is a problem - can anyone pass on where in the world I can get 10 DPST
1 4PST and 3 SPST - if  I cannot locate vacuum relays and I revert to normal
relays then what current rating should I use - I guess this is allied to the RF
current going into each antenna - assume 400watts as this is the UK max - any
help would be appreciated - regards Dave G3RCQ