Topband: Router Birdie Problem solved!

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Router Birdie Problem solved!
From: Ed Gray W0SD <w0sd@triotel.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:45:58 -0600
I am so elated and thankful to Larry W7IUV.  He has solved the serious
birdie problem for me!  Here is what he told me to do.

"Is your ethernet connection between the router and the computer set for
100bT or 10Bt? If it is set for 100 MHz (or auto select),  go into your
device manager and change the network interface card to manually select
10bT, 10 MHz speed. That usually fixes most of my problems with routers."

I read this and thought that is to easy!!! but I did it and instantly my
  birdies went away!  With three computers running I had about 100
birdies on the bands from 160M-10M.  I now have "ZERO"!!!!  I can see no
difference on my internet speed at 10BaseT using DSL which would be what
I expected.

Based on Larry's recommendation I chose full duplex rather than half
duplex as it works fine here.

Here is Larry's explanation to me:

"The 100bT speed is clocking at very high speeds and the rise
time of the clock signals is very fast. Any fast rise time data/clock
will produce harmonics and mixes of those harmonics all over the
spectrum. The 10bT clock is slower and therefor generates less crap.
It's not guaranteed to eliminate everything all the time, but it sure helps.

Simple, but for some reason nobody thinks about it. I have posted this
info all over the place dozens of times and it just doesn't stick so I
don't post it publicly any more.

BTW, ferrites can't possibly work in this situation, the common mode
impedances are all wrong."

73, Larry

For me it totally cured the problem.  It is just amazing.  Set it to
10baseT and the birdies go away.  Set it back to 100baseT and the
birdies are back.  I had a horrible birdie right in the DX window on 160
meters and now it is totally gone and the other approximately 99 are gone!

If this does not cure your problem enough to satisfy you based on a lot
of input from people on the reflector going wireless has worked well for
them.  The is a simplest and good solution if you have a good wireless
router connection.  Wireless distance has gotten a lot greater over the
years and interference issues with cordless telephones seem to be pretty
well resolved.  Obviously you should be sure to secure the connection.

Again all the credit goes to Larry W7IUV for the best solution for my
situation.  Thanks to all that replied it is greatly appreciated.

Ed W0SD