Topband: Receiving antenna

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Receiving antenna
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:20:27 -0500
Hi,

My first post to the group. I finally have an antenna up for 160,
it's an end fed sloper running from the basement window to the top of
the closest tall tree. The wire is 150' long and attaches to the
tuner as a random wire. There are three 100' radials attached to the
ground rod which is 4' from the tunerand I'm matching this with a Nye
Viking MB-V-A.

Although I'm using an Omni V with 9mHz 250 Hz and 6mHz 250Hz Inrad
filters the qrn is substantial and it's difficult to pick out the
calls through the QRN. Compounding the QRN, there are electric
railway tracks on one side & QRN aplenty when trains go by. There's
some RFI from a neighbor's electronic device directly south of me
that is strong on 160, but what is good is I'm right on the ocean and
nothing due east to get in the way or cause QRN.

Here's a graphic of my Connecticut QTH: http://tinyurl.com/ysekpj and
my antenna tip is North by northwest. Because of the proximity of a
neighbor I can not tip it to the South.

I could run the antenna to the east if I go straight up and then hook
over the apex of the roof & go over the house lengthwise to the
highest of the neighboring trees but the tip now is about 60 feet
high and if I point it to the east the tip will be 40' high. Because
of the slope of the land, the tree line is flat.

So with this information; I'm looking for DX and can either leave
this sloper run elevating to the North by northwest or have the tip
run to the east. I'm not familiar with this kind of antenna so
perhaps for DX I should re-orient the tip to the East or perhaps I
could add a 2nd element and fed it to the east as well?

It seems like my best bet to minimise QRN & qrm is to have a
receiving antenna and with the summer approaching, constructing
something elaborate would take too much time. I'm also wondering what
you folks might suggest I put together to help me hear a bit better.

Thanks!

73,

Gary
KA1J