Topband: Radials

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radials
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:46:19 -0800
Dave: I put up a 40 meter 4-square 2 years ago with 64 radials on each element.
I put the radial system in with soldering to a central bus along each side as
shown by ON4UN. The system impedances are very stable. Off the top of my head I
would say you would totally waste almost 25 percent of your wire if you
overlapped them. Interconnecting them makes them half as long between the
elements! Use that length on the outside to make more or make them longer. I
have done them both ways.  I covered each solder joint with Black PVC pipe
cement before burying. Very easy to do. So far so good after two years on the
solder joints. Only time will tell how long this will work for me. The soil
here is not very acidic so I am hopeful.  YMMV.
  Lee K7TJR Oregon