Topband: radial depth

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: radial depth
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 05:08:25 -0800 (PST)
Well, the deep radials may work well, or not, depending on your soil... The 3dB
attenuation of soil on 160 meters can be as deep as 20-30 feet...

  The first thought that comes to mind is a bit of a test..  Make up two
dipoles... Lay one on top of the ground and put the other down at 3 feet..
Keep them well separated and at right angles to limit coupling... Then listen
to the band and compare signals, or have a friend give you a test signal..  Use
a 50 ohm attenuator pad and actually find the difference in dB between the
two...  Make up a table or a graph... Check back with us on the data... It
should be interesting...

  I have done this on 160 for 100 feet up, 30 feet up, 12 feet up, 3 feet up,
on the ground, slit into the soil, and 3 feet down in my fresh water pond...
Very little difference for the on ground/slit/water comparison...

denny / k8do