Topband: RE elevated radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE elevated radials
From: peter dixon <pj_dixon@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:42:17 +0000
Hi allI have an inverted L about 40 ft vertical 84 ft horizontal,most of the
earth system consists >of chicken wire abt 15ft wide ,30ft long wide under the
grass under the horizontal wire with the  odd length of wire  going in another
direction .The antenna is fed at the edge of the garage roof 8ft above the
ground and 12ft above the grass.not much in the way of radials to the N side of
the vertical ie under the garage. So I'm thinking if I put radials under the
roof of the garage I'll be doing myself a favour...so abt 6 x20ft lengths were
put there. Testing with the locals (all within 10 miles) during daylight when I
switch in the new radials the signal goes down.by about 5dB..I'm assuming that
if I improve the sig with locals that means better ground wave which means
better low angle? I got to test it with DX this week,Pedro NP4A was an
excellent sig on Tuesday and switching them in took my sig down 1 S pt!! The
extra radials make the SWR go from 1.5 to 1.1 and there alread
 y exists a ring of wire in the foundations of the garage, and there's a fair
bit of metal stored in the garage! What's going on?>