Topband: Boring phased array update

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring phased array update
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 08:45:14 -0800
Well - I need to admit I was mistaken about how well my phased array
was working - and now have to agree with the experts that predicted
that my gamma matched tower was going to introduce a variable into
the equation.

I setup a monitoring antenna about 200 meters away from the two verticals
(one is a gamma matched tower - the other is a wire tee element).  I
brought the coax into the shack and used a scope - triggered from some RF
from the transmitter.  I was able to measure the relative phase delay
for each of the two elements (with the other one out of the picture) and
found that I had something around a 35 degree phase difference.  It seemed
that the phase delay from the gamma matched tower was "less" than the wire
antenna.  The absolute values are not important - since there are too
many variables like coax and path lengths involved.

I also seemed to notice a different amplitude - but I am now not sure
about those measurements as I see a lot of "QSB" on the readings - which
I am not sure I understand (could be the wind affecting my RX antenna).

At any rate - I did two things - added another 10 radials to the wire
antenna (I am now up to about 40 radials - which is getting close to the
number of radials on my gamma matched tower) - and I added 30 degrees of
coax to the gamma feed antenna.

I will be making lots of tests with this to see how it plays, but I did
get one encouraging report from ZL1KMN last night.  I was sending him
"111 222 111 222 111 222..." and he said he could hear the 1s, but not
the 2s.  Signals were not very strong and there was QSB - but this is an
encouraging sign.  The 1s were end fire pretty much in his direction and
the 2s were off the back.  I think I was hearing some F/B with the ZL
digi signal - but it is difficult to tell for sure as my noise level is
different between the two directions.

Europe was totally gone last night.  Hope the band recovers tonight.  I
did hear EL2DX coming up out of the noise - just around the time he QRTd.
CE1/K7CA continues to pump out a great signal and in addition to ZL1KMN,
ZL3IX and K9FD/KH6 were on the band.

73 Tree N6TR
Boring, OR