Topband: Info on Common mode chokes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Info on Common mode chokes
From: "Carol Richards" <n2mm@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:50:14 -0500
Hello....

I am hoping to make a common mode choke to use with my inverted L ( 90 feet
vertical   45 feet horizontal). From the various discussions on this reflector,
it was suggested that 5 toroid cores, # 31 mix with 7 turns of RG 213 should be
what I need. I called FAIR RITE and the largest cores they have are 2.4" X 1.4"
X 1/2", but the tech support person wasn't sure of the part number I needed. He
also scratched his head when I told him I needed the choke for 1.8 mhz and plan
to run legal limit. Has anyone built a common mode choke and could be able to
give me a more definitive answer as to part number or a better design?

Carol