Re: Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP

To: "W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU@frontiernet.net>,"'Topband@Contesting. Com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Daylight QSO's during the SP
From: "VE3MGY" <vy2mgy@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 09:39:17 -0500
When I responded to VE3MGY's original query about possible daylight
distances on 160, I was assuming that Brian was referring to paths between
stations that were *totally* in daylight.  Clearly, if any part of the path
is in darkness the opportunity for QSOs over that path and distance
increases.

I suspect Brian's question and my original answer were both colored by our
being Northern hemisphere mid-latitude hams thinking about predominantly E-W
QSOs across the North American continent while it was in daylight.

Bud, W2RU

You assumed right Bud

I was referring to paths between stations that were *totally* in daylight
and near or at noon mid path. I have, as many others have, worked alot of DX
when one end of the path , either mine or the DX, was in daylight. And I
have worked as far out as 2000 KM [ mid USA from here ] in the CQ160 CW
almost every year when I was about 30 minutes, or a bit more,  from my
sunset. Again no big deal as the terminator is literally over my shoulder at
the time. But before this years SPDC I thought that to work out even 800 km
[ let alone 1100 km ] in the *middle* of the day was impossible. But by the
number of posts and interest on the subject apparently this has happened
alot over the years.

Bud raises a very good point however. All 50 of my QSO's were predominatly
E-W paths. I really doubt I could have worked as far on the N-S paths
because the farther South you go the higher the sun and the higher the
absortion.

The CQ160 CW is only a few weeks away so it will be interesting to see if
the long haul daylight propagation is still around. If you can get 1100 km
with 100 watts you could get maybe twice that with 1.5 KW.

73 es HNY
Brian
VE3MGY