Topband: Stew Perry Rules and Packet

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Stew Perry Rules and Packet
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:31:04 -0500
        I see there are some stations spotting who did not
read the rules which state:

3. Categories: Single operator or multi-operator.  Remote or Cluster
   spotting shall not be used.  All transmitting and receiving antennas
   used must be within 100 km of each other.

http://tinyurl.com/ypfwwk

Although it would be impossible to enforce this rule, I think
scores submitted by people doing repeated spotting could
be reclassified as check logs.  In case anyone should ask,
it IS possible from IP addresses to tell if someone spots
with someone else's call (in order to disqualify them).

        It's very sad but IMHO Packet has almost ruined
contesting, outside of tightly controlled environments like
the WRTC Championship.  Let's not contribute to this!

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  The simple solution is just to turn off Packet in
your shack during the contest and use your ears.