Re: Topband: success with the inverted L

To: "smc@w9smc.com" <smc@w9smc.com>,"TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: success with the inverted L
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 08:27:22 -0800
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:40:44 -0600, FireBrick wrote:

>I built the 12 turns of rg58 through a FT240-61 core as suggested on the
>K9AY site
>Between the U and balun and my viking tuner, I have a good match.

FWIW, 12 turns of coax through an FT240-61 core is a LOUSY choke on 160 (in
fact, it's a lousy choke on most bands). A MUCH better choke for 160 would
use the #31 cores we bought in a group purchase several years ago. It won't
affect the MATCH, but it will do a far better job of decoupling the antenna
from the transmission line, which can make the antenna quieter on RX.

See the section on coax chokes in  http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and http://audiosystemsgroup.com/CoaxChokes.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC