Re: Topband: WD1-A

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: WD1-A
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 08:55:24 -0800 (PST)
Bruce:
  The beverage wire that you have might NOT be WD-1A. I have checked the
specifications on the internet and the most recent spec calls for 7 conductors,
four are a soft copper and three are a springy steel.

  I just stripped a piece to test mine and the three steel conductors are
attracted to a magnet. All seven strands are tinned I believe. I wrap the four
soft conductors around the three steel when I use it. The resistance of 500
feet of WD-1A is about 9 ohms per side or 18 ohms total for a closed circuit.

  There was an earlier military phone wire called WD-1/TT. Perhaps you have
that. I am almost certain that if the wire is copper colored, it is not the
latest version of WD-1A.

  73, Dennis W0JX/8