Re: Topband: WHAT IS THE BEST

To: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>,"TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: WHAT IS THE BEST
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:05:53 -0800
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 12:57 PM
Subject: Topband: WHAT IS THE BEST

> high power TUNER for 160 meters.
>
> Antenna is a inverted L with insufficient radials.
> 40-50 vertical approx 60 horizontal.
> That's the best I can do, my urban lot won't allow any more.
>
> pse & tu

Sounds like you are describing my system for 160 meters, Firebrick.
The only difference being that my vertical section is 60' vs 40-50'.

I don't know if its the best, but I bought a used Amertiron ATR-30
for $350. It works great with no problems at 1500 watts. The only
problem I've had is that the little spinner shaft fell off the arm of the
roller inductor adjustment knob. I replaced it with a tiewrap as a
"temporary fix" about a year ago. It bites into my fingers a little, but
gets the job done.

If I weren't so lazy I'd match things better at the base of the antenna,
but my feedline is really short so I cheat with the tuner and take the
small loss hit.