Topband: Idaho Falls report

To: "'Minnesota Wireless Association'" <mwa@w0aa.org>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Idaho Falls report
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:54:14 -0700
Well today is a special day.

This morning at 0030 local time [0730 UTC] I heard G3FPQ, David, calling CQ
and occasionally working East Coast stations. The signal varied between 569
and 579. David has over 18,000 lookups on QRZ so I suspect he may have a
really good 160 meter setup.

The reason this is significant to me is that it is the very first time since
2000 when I started listening on 160 that I have ever HEARD a European
station. I suppose that may be a commentary on my station setup, listening
habits or just how difficult it is for signals to reach fellows on the
western slope of the Rocky Mountains from Europe. The path goes directly
through the auroral oval. [That is the same for Oregon, Montana and
Washington State]

I am guessing that it takes very good transmitted signals reaching very good
receiving antennas to complete the path to the States above 42N latitude and
west of 110 W longitude with any degree of frequency. There are a few
stations along the west slope of the Rockies who have very good setups and
who are very diligent with respect to listening for EU often {W7LT is an
example) who manage such QSO's.

Well, the next milestone will be to actually work a European station. While
listening this morning I could hear the 'western' East Coast {MI, OH, WV,
KY] calling valiantly only to be greeted by another CQ sequence from G3FPQ.
It doesn't pay for TopBanders to locate their houses too far from the
Atlantic Ocean.

Tod, K0TO