Topband: Two-Wire Beverage Using Coax

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Two-Wire Beverage Using Coax
From: "K2WK" <k2wk@wildblue.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 14:44:25 -0500
Hey all,

Recently there were a number of posts on the subject of two-wire beverages,
has anyone had experience using 75 or 50 ohm coax as the antenna?  I have
over 1000' of double shielded, mil-spec RG-6 that I want to use instead of
open wire, 450 ohm ladder line or twisted pair Telco wire.  At a 10' height,
the black coax would be stealthier, meaning harder to see and would not
decapitate any deer.

I've seen references to this style beverage in Misek's book.  If the
beverage is fed with 75 ohm RG-6 there would be no need for an impedance
transformer (6:1, 9:1) but it would seem that be a 1:1 balun, or isolation
transformer can be used.  My question is, how to design and test the
reflection transformer at the end of the beverage?  The balun or transformer
must perform a complete (180 deg.) phase reversal.

Misek shows that a 2-wire beverage built with coax can be fed in the middle,
or "anywhere along the line," quoting him directly.  He includes drawings
and instructions for winding the transformers on a center-fed beverage.  How
would one design the matching and phase reversal transformers if the
feed-point is other than at the center?

Please share your experiences - suggestions, advice and comments are all
welcome.

                             Regards,

                                           Walt Kornienko - K2WK
                                           Gordonsville, VA