Topband: ARRL 160 Meter Contest

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160 Meter Contest
From: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:11:06 -0400
The ARRL has made a recent update on their website concerning the 160 meter
contest which begins tonight.  After much confusion about what contest status
(by even veteran contesters) the U.S. overseas territories have they have made
it clear in their current announcement that all U.S. Territories are not DX for
the purpose of this contest. Some contest logging programs which understandably
treat DX as DX creates a problem for getting the call in the log. So frequently
in this contest when I call DX stations (as they count for 5 points plus I like
working topband DX) I get a terse reply "no DX no DX" as in this contest the
rules say that DX to DX contacts are not valid.  I always wondered how any DX
station would deliberately avoid working ARRL section multipliers such as KH6,
KL7, KP4 etc. but that appears to be the case for some.

Please if you hear me or any station in the U.S. territories let me get into
the log....no matter what the indicator is on the logging program.  N1MM Logger
works for this contest but some other software recognizes that I am a DX
station and does not allow my call to be placed in the log.  I guess one could
edit the country MDB (just for this contest) but that seems like a lot of
needless work.  But the contest logging program software writers should
eventually upgradethier software so the ARRL section multipliers from the
overseas territories count.

Thanks for your understanding......and if you need the V.I. multiplier I'll be
there for you.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
St. Croix, U.S.V.I