Re: Topband: Recent 160m Antenna Questions

To: Dave Court <EI3IO@connogue.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Recent 160m Antenna Questions
From: John Bastin <bastinj@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:12:03 -0500
On Nov 27, 2007, at 03:58 , Dave Court wrote:

> Yes I agree, however radials previously were about 6 laying on the
> ground. These had to be removed in summer for grass cutting

This isn't necessary.

I have a helically-wound vertical surrounded by 54 radials that
started out lying on the ground. Over time, they work down in the
grass and most of them aren't even visible any more except where they
connect to the plate at the base of the vertical. I just mow over
them, and have since they were first laid.

I use "bobby-pins" every few feet along their length to keep them
down and avoid tripping over them and pulling them up before they
disappear. I used to make the bobby-pins from electric fence wire,
approximately 6-inch lengths bent in half and pressed into the ground
over the radial wire. When I laid the last batch this summer I used 6-
inch pieces of Copperweld bent in half for the same purpose.

Putting them down and taking them up every year just to cut the grass
is a whole lot of work and a lot of time taken from other antenna
projects. Put them down once and forget them.

Hope this helps.

73,

John Bastin, K8AJS
bastinj@gmail.com