Topband: What length for twisted pair two directional beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: What length for twisted pair two directional beverage
From: Brent Childers <w5ww@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:27:15 -0600
To All,

After reading the information about the KD9SV Two Direction Beverage Antenna
System. (http://www.radiobooks.com/products/sv2bevsys.htm)  I was curious about
the following statement:

Another benefit of using twisted pair wire or WD-1A is the lower Velocity
Factor (VF) of the wire: a physically short antenna “looks” electrically much
longer. Using a VF of 58% for example, a 311 foot long twisted pair antenna is
electrically the same length as a 537 foot single wire (one wavelength) antenna
on 160 meters.

So if I were to use the .58 velocity factor on a 440' single wire 80M beverage,
I should expect to get the same performance from a 255' twisted pair beverage.
Am I understanding this correctly?  Or is there some downside that I'm not
accounting for?

73 and Happy Thanksgiving

de ww