Re: Topband: A question on L's

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Peter Dougherty" <w2irt@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: A question on L's
From: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:06:25 -0400
Pete, W2IRT wrote:
   I'm running legal-limit power and I seem to be
> getting out "OK" but not great. I'm behind a 500' high hill to Europe
> (which is off the weak end of my L also), so I'm not expecting
> miracles out of it but it does seem to work. Should I just "go with
> the flow" or should I be looking to tweak this a little more?

Pete don't worry so much about the angle if you have clearance from 30 to 45
degrees toward Europe.  I would, however, change the configuration of the
inverted "L" to a "T" which is a far more efficient antenna for usefull DX
radiationand a lower TOA.  If the vertical wire is 45 to 65 feet you can
play with the equal amounts on the top to give you a base feed of close to
50 ohms and tune out the inductive component with series capacitance.  The
inverted "L" "seems" like a good antenna but I can't think of any reason to
worm the clouds as it does with a significant part of its pattern.  The idea
behind the "T" marconi is to cancel the radiation from the top horizontal
wire and work DX.
Unfortunately more people, it would seem by all the posts, are in love with
the inverted "L" as the quickie topband antenna of choice.  It should be
close to the bottom of the list for DX although working stations 300 miles
away may seem impressive....but don't be fooled.

Regards,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ