Re: [RTTY] Topband: Foam

To: "Rick D" <n6pe@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Topband: Foam
From: "Brad Rehm" <bradrehm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:45:29 -0600
> Anyone know the electrical/RF characteristics of the various expanding
> foam products?

> Rick Darwicki  -= N6PE =-

Rick,

We have several measurement products in our EMC lab that were filled
with foam by the manufacturers to keep out moisture and mechanically
stabilize them.  This has made servicing them almost impossible,
though.

I wouldn't use the foam because of this.  I built a preamp many years
ago for mounting on a tower.  I weatherproofed the die-cast box as
well as I could and then put a big bag of silica gel in with the
electronics.  The silica-gel came in the packing materials for a
computer.  I baked it for a few hours at 150-200°F to remove moisture.
 After 7 or 8 years, the preamp was still shiney when we took it down.

Brad, KV5V