Re: Topband: C52

To: <herbs@surfvi.com>,"Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: C52
From: "Harold Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:35:58 -0500
> North West Africa is a great place for propagation on the lower bands into
> NA at times.  I have operated beachside from The Gambia in 1994
> (C56/KV4FZ)
> and was amazed at the reports I received for 100 watts and a low dipole
> from
> the states.  However one thing that never changed for the months there was
> the
> constant ear drum busting static S meter pinning static.  The path this
> time
> of year looks across the ITCZ which seems to be a constant QRN generator.
> recall S9SS had similar experiences with tropical static which never seems
> to quit but Charles persistence and dedication to 160 made contacts
> possible.  Heck,  I call Charles for a full year before I ever got in
> the log!.
> No Charles was not deaf as spotters claimed but the QRN is certainly
> deafening in that part of the world.
>
> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Herb,
thanks for your comments about Deaf stations.

When Merv K9FD and I were at BY1QH in 1998. We worked a bunch of west coast
and middle USA
stations on 160. Nothing east of the Mississippi River except WB9Z, N4CC and
K9YY. They were not to far east.

Our line noise was S9 to S9+10db. There were a lot of comments like Charles
S9SS had and the C52 has,.
these Guys are deaf. They just have a HELL of a lot of noise.

The C52 is very easy to work. If one has a good Xmit antenna.

73.... Price W0RI