Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Unique Short Radial Challenge

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [TowerTalk] Unique Short Radial Challenge
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:04:05 -0700
At 09:06 AM 2007-10-20, Rick, K6VVA <b38@hilding.com> wrote:
>I have a "Unique Short Radial Challenge" for an upcoming 160m portable
>situation.  Several of my fellow NCCCers have made some suggestions, and I'm
>looking for some additional input before "measuring twice, cutting once" J
>
>This pix will help:  http://www.k6vva.com/radialchallenge2.jpg

Read this: http://force12inc.com/PCSDAT-002.htm  It describes an 80m
vertical array overlooking salt water.  They used a pair of "gull
wing" elevated radials at 8' high.  They note that this radial
configuration has worked well in several other salt water edge
operations.  For 160m, you would probably want the radials to be twice as high.

Note that mixing elevated and grounded radials (e.g. laying in the
water) has been shown to increase system losses and should be
avoided.  This also means you need a good choke balun at the
feedpoint to keep the feedline from acting like a ground radial.

73, Terry N6RY