Re: Topband: Transceiver for 160

To: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>,"Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Transceiver for 160
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:59:25 -0400
On 9th October, Chet wrote...

"...W8JI is using some R4C's and his web site shows the mods he made to it."

****************************

Hi Chet,

Well, if the R4C is good enough for Tom, I'm sure it'll be MORE than
adequate for me --- I hear him responding to DX calls that I'm lucky to even
half-hear at this end. I'm sure his receive antenna(s) deserves the bulk of
credit in this regard, but his receivers certainly shouldn't be discounted,
either...

I shall have a look-see at his site specifically for info on the R4C.
Thank-you.

One last word: I assume that these old Drake gems are still "...out there"
in abundance, at reasonable prices...? Historically, Hams have jumped on the
solid-state bandwagon, & almost abandoned the older tube stuff, even though
the technology used therein was at its zenith.

Fingers crossed here, in any event...I just hope the old "Drake Twins"
haven't taken the route of the Collins S-line, and ESCALATED in value...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ