Topband: Binocular Core

To: Top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Binocular Core
From: "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@suddenlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:01:41 -0500
Good Evening All:

A few weeks back I bought some mix 73 binocular cores through the
generosity of Wolfert, WR8K, and this afternoon I finally got around
to using one of them.  My dilemma was the insulation required to
place in each hole to keep from scratching the enameled wire. The
thriving metropolis of Lufkin, TX isn't quite the place one would go
searching for teflon tubing, and it was too late to search for shrink
tubing, even if it could be found.

After dwelling on the matter for a while I decided to cut a drinking
straw(1/4 in diameter) lengthwise, and just slightly off
center.  BINGO!  The larger width piece of the modified straw fits
nicely inside the core, and wants to expand it's diameter after
insertion, making it a nice tight fit in the core. The thin walls of
the straw waste a minimum of the inside diameter of the hole in the
core. I hope this is helpful to those of you looking for a simple and
readily available solution to this problem.

73,
Mike, W5UC

"age & treachery will overcome youth & skill"
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/