Topband: Oregon High Desert report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Oregon High Desert report
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:17:20 -0400
K7TJR:
>I see some top-band high angle arrays with gain in my antenna future. Ahh
>another top-band challenge..

        A simple dipole or inverted-V with apex about 100' up gives ~7 dBi gain
at 90 degrees.  Orientation is unimportant since the TOA is straight up.
Higher horizontal antennas begin to depress the high angle lobe so lower is
better for high angles (which is what you want to complement your vertical
array).

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/new_page_10.htm

In high angle conditions, a 100' horizontal antenna is often better on both RX
and TX than a Beverage/4-Square RX/TX combination.

                                    73,  Bill  W4ZV